The holidays are coming! And that means shopping. Whether you love it or hate it, most of us have some Christmas shopping to get done. I’ve got you covered this year with a whole list of genealogy gifts and ideas for the family historian in your family.
Oh, and if you shop for yourself, I won’t tell….if you don’t tell on me. 🙂
What do you get the genealogy researcher in your family?
While they might ask Santa for the 1890 census back or the 1799 will of John Smith, we as the gift givers need to be a bit more practical. After all, what genealogy researchers really want is something that would make their search easier and more successful.
Below I have created a genealogy gift guide to help you and your family members out with their Christmas shopping. I’ve divided it into categories to make things a bit easier for you.
Did I miss an idea? Drop your favorite genealogy gift idea in the comments below.
Grab a pencil and paper and let’s start making your list.
The Best 42 Genealogy Gifts for Your Family Historian (or Yourself!)
Subscriptions & Software Make Great Genealogy Gifts
- Family Tree Maker 2019 – Great for recording your family history data. (This is the one I use.)
- RootsMagic 7 Family Tree Genealogy Software – Another great resource for recording your family history data.
- Ancestry.com subscription – One of the most popular genealogy research sites, it’s my go-to for online researching.
- FindMyPast Subscription – A Must have for UK research.
- MyHeritage Subscription – Another wonderful option for researching our ancestors.
- Fold3.com Subscription – Researching your ancestors in the military? Fold3 is what you need.
- Dropbox – Basic Dropbox is free to use, but if your genealogist needs more, a Dropbox upgrade makes a great gift.
- Newspapers.com – A great resource for your newspaper research.
- Vivid-Pix Restore – My FAVORITE photo editing software. (See my tutorial here.)
Genealogy Gifts for Research On-the Go
Flip Pal– A great portable scanner for on the go research. Take it to your next family reunion.
- Anker Astro Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger – Keep those smartphones charged anywhere.
- Flash Drive – Great for backing up genealogy research and for genealogy on the go!
- Business Cards – Not just for professionals! Cards with surname research interests are great for sharing at conferences and local genealogy meetings. Business cards by Moo Cards are my favorites!
- A Genealogy Cruise – A vacation + genealogy research/education = A perfect combination
- A Genealogy Conference – An opportunity to learn and talk genealogy with like minded folks. I suggest NGS 2020, Rootstech 2020, and FGS 2020 just to name a few.
- A Research trip to a distant location your favorite genealogy researcher is longing to go.
- Family Reunion – Is there a family reunion happening? Gift your family member with the gift of travel.
- Roll of Quarters – Genealogists need to feed those microfilm machines.
Genealogy Books – The Perfect Gift
Genealogists love books!
- NGS Research in the States – Research in the states books offer a comprehensive overview of records and repositories in individual states.
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot – Not a genealogy book per se, but an incredible family history read. (It’s one of my favorites!)
- The Journey Takers by Leslie Albrecht Huber – Another one of my favorites! Follow the author’s journey in discovering her family’s history. It’s no longer available at Amazon, but check your local library! It’s a great book. 🙂
- The Book of Myself: A Do-It-Yourself Autobiography in 201 Questions by David Marshall – It’s important we remember to tell OUR stories, too.
- The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy (2nd edition) by Blaine Bettinger – This is your must have genetic genealogy book. It sits on my bookshelf.
- Professional Genealogy: Preparation, Practice & Standards by Elizabeth Shown Mills – A must have for any genealogy researcher looking to go to the next level.
Genealogy Gifts For The Home Office
- Carson LED Lighted Magnifold 2x Power Rectangular Magnifier For Reading, Inspection, Low Vision, Hobby and Crafts (MJ-50) – Perfect for reading those old, faded documents.
- Legacy Box – Preserve old VHS tapes, photos and movies digitally.
- Archival Supplies: Archival Document Box, Archival Clamshell Folio Storage Box
- External Hard Drive – You can never have too many backups!
- KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner – Save those old family photos by scanning old negatives.
DNA Test Kits Make Great Genealogy Gifts
- FamilyTree DNA – Potentially break through genealogy brick walls with DNA.
- AncestryDNA – The most popular DNA test kit!
- MyHeritageDNA – A third great DNA test kit option
- Living DNA – UK ancestors? Add a LivingDNA test kit to the list.
- 23 and Me DNA – Another great option for DNA testing
Unique Family History Gifts
Try one of these more unique genealogy gifts.
- Your Own Family history books – Create your own family history book, but don’t wait too long! The time to start is now!
- Genealogy Mug – Enjoy your morning coffee!
- Family Recipe book – Create a family recipe book.
- A Family Tree Chart – Family ChartMasters has a great selection.
Stocking Stuffers for Genealogists
Who doesn’t like checking a stocking on Christmas morning? Genealogists still do!
- Rolls of quarters – Copiers an microfilm machines need to be fed.
- “School Supplies” – paper, pens, pencils for all that research. My favorite school supply is mechanical pencils.
- Snacks – Genealogists don’t take long meal breaks! My favorite are cherry pie Larabars!
- Amazon gift certificate to purchase those genealogy books.
Frugal Genealogy Tip – If you are shopping on Amazon this holiday season, consider a Prime Membership for free shipping.
Check out MORE Genealogy Gift Guides!
- Gift Guide for Genealogy Book Lovers
- DNA Themed Gift Guide for the Genealogist
- Your Genealogy Easy Gift Guide for the Holidays
- Gift Guide to Genealogy Stocking Stuffer Ideas