The favorite family tree gifts for the genealogy buff, family historian and history lover on your Christmas gift list. Shopping will be easy!
Have you noticed the holiday decorations going up in local shopping centers and inside the stores. That means one thing. The pressure of Christmas shopping had begun.
As I write this we are approaching Black Friday, I’m not ready. You?
Let’s help each other out. I’m going to share some great family tree gift ideas for your family and also some gift ideas to put on your own Christmas wish list. [Help your family out and just send them a link to this post!]
If there is another genealogist in the family, I’ll help you find that perfect gift.
Family Tree Gift Guide for the Holidays
Most genealogists are techies to some degree. Face it, we sort of have to be! Even if they (or you) are not, genealogy software to help organize the family tree is a must for any genealogist. Having a family tree offline and not associated with an online account is vital to the back up process for genealogy research.
Here are a few of my suggestions:
- Legacy – I’ve used this one in the past and like it a lot, too!
- Family Tree Maker – This is the one I use!
- Scrivener – For organizing and (finally) writing your family history.
Genealogy Database Subscriptions
Family history researchers love nothing more than information and data on their ancestors. A subscription to an online database is a good thing to add to your own Christmas list (to help Santa’s elves out, of course!).
- FindMyPast – One of my favorite features here is PERSI! Predominantly UK and Irish record collections, FindMyPast has many world and U. S records, too. (I love my subscription!) [Learn about US records in the Summer Road Trip series I did with FindMyPast. ]
- Ancestry.com – My very first genealogy subscription site, and I still use it regularly.
- Fold3 – My go-to for researching ancestors in the military.
- GenealogyBank – Newspapers!
- Newspapers.com – Read all about it in the newspaper! I love newspaper research, and this is another one my favorites.
DNA & Genealogy
Who can do genealogy research without the addition of DNA testing? DNA is pretty much standard in our research these days. Here’s my go-to list for all things DNA and a perfect addition to my list of family tree gifts.
- 23andMe DNA
- The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy (second edition) by Blaine Bettinger – (This one sits on my bookshelf.)
Helpful Genealogy Research “Tools”
What’s in your genealogy toolbox? I don’t use many office type tools, but I do use a few. Having a paper and pencil option is always good idea.
- Laptop – I use one similar to this one.
- Desk Light – For reading those old handwritten documents.
- Handheld magnifying Glass with Light – Again, for reading those old documents!
- Binders – To store all that information we find. I’m almost completely digital in my filing, but I know many still use the binder system.
- Legal pads – Sometimes you just think better on paper, at least I do. You will always find a legal pad and mechanical pencil beside me when I research.
Photo Organization & Preservation
If you and your family are fortunate to have heirloom photographs, make sure they are preserved and stored safely.
- Vivid-Pix Restore – My FAVORITE photo editor to bring my old family photos back to life!
- Picture Keeper Portable Flash Drive – This one is my favorite!
- KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner – This is a good tool for scanning film and negatives – both at home and on the road.
- Archival Photo Pages – Let’s protect those photos!
- Archival Safe Ring Binder Box
- How to Archive Family Photos: A Step-by-Step Guide to Organize and Share Your Photos Digitally by Denise My Levernick
Genealogy Stocking Stuffers
No one wants an empty stocking on Christmas morning – not even an adult! 😉 These are small items that make a BIG difference for the genealogy researcher.
- Roll of Quarters (for the microfilm machines!) – Yes, we still use microfilm!
- Flash Drives – Back up, back up , back up!
- Mechanical pencils – Many repositories only allow the use of pencils. No ink pens allowed.
Gifts for Genealogy Fun!
Genealogy is fun, and if it’s not? Well, you might be doing something wrong. 😀
Show your genealogy fun side with these great family tree gifts:
- My favorite travel scarf from WayPoint Goods! The secret pocket stores everything I need and no purse is needed!
- Genealogy coffee mug for those late night research sessions! Who wouldn’t love this personalized mug with your ancestors on it?! Oh, and add some Starbucks coffee beans and you’ve got a fantastic gift.
- Generations Board Game, A Game of Family History – It’s a family history board game for family night!
- Tree of Life Sterling Silver Necklace – It’s a beautiful necklace to show your love of growing the family tree.
Do you feel more prepared for your holiday shopping now?
Whew! I do.
(Now….If I can just keep from buying too many Christmas gifts for myself.)