Where To Find Free Genealogy Courses – It’s Easier Than You Think!
Genealogy researchers are continually learning and trying to improve their genealogy research skills. The more researchers research, the more we learn and the more we discover we need to learn!
Fortunately, many free genealogy courses and other options for learning how to research your ancestors are available online! Get ready to improve your genealogy research skills from the comfort of you couch.
Face it, as we get deeper into our ancestor’s research, we come across new areas of genealogy we know little about. Maybe you find yourself stuck while tracing a female ancestor. Or perhaps you have tracked your ancestor “across the pond” back to England, but you know nothing about researching UK ancestors.
You need to learn a new set of research skills. You are in luck!
Many free genealogy courses and webinars as well as general genealogy educational options are available online. 🙂
Free Genealogy Courses & Education Opportunities
Learning how to build your family tree can come in many different online formats. Blog posts, video tutorials, live chats, webinars, help sections on major genealogy websites…… These are really just the beginning!
Below, you will find a variety of options to find the right type of genealogy how to information.
1.The FamilySearch Learning Center offers an extensive list of free online genealogy classes. Topics include “how to” and strategies for genealogy research worldwide. The FamilySearch Learning Center is a “don’t miss” stop in pursuit of your genealogy education. Be sure to bookmark it!
2. Ancestry’s Academy is another great stop in your pursuit of genealogy education! Ancestry’s Academy has a webinars on a variety of topics including basic skills, DNA and location based research. If you’ve tested your DNA with AncestryDNA, be sure to explore their tutorials to make sure you get the most of your results. Find Ancestry Academy under the “Extras” dropdown.
3. Legacy Family Tree Webinars offers many of its webinars free to watch live or for a limited time after the live presentation. The webinars are presented by leading genealogy researchers. Legacy Family Tree Webinars does have a reasonably priced subscription option as well that offers on-demand access to all of its webinars.
4. The American Ancestors (NEHGS) offers free online genealogy webinars on a variety of genealogy topics with a good emphasis on New England genealogy, too. A (free) guest registration is required.
5. The UK National Archives – Have UK ancestors? The UK National Archives offers free genealogy webinars and podcast episodes to help you learn how to track those UK ancestors. [This is where I went to start learning about researching my UK ancestors. ]
6. BYU Continuing Education – BYU offers excellent free genealogy and family history courses as well!
7. Don’t overlook genealogical societies for free genealogy webinars. The North Carolina Genealogical Society offers free to the public replays of selected recorded webinars as well as a couple of webinars always available to the public. Check the offerings of genealogical societies in the areas where you research.
Additionally, regularly check Conference Keeper to find hundreds of genealogy events including many online genealogy webinars.
Genealogy YouTube Channels
Now let’s explore one of my favorite places to find great free genealogy education – YouTube!
8. YouTube has many excellent genealogy channels where you can find quick tips or in-depth videos on just about any genealogy related topic. Here are a just a few you will want to explore:
- The Are You My Cousin? YouTube Channel! Okay, this is a shameless plug for my YouTube channel. 😉 You’ll find lots of short “how to” videos, a genealogy tip videos and weekly Live chats each Thursday at 3:00 PM (Eastern). Here’s a sample of what you can find:
Be sure and explore my genealogy friends on YouTube, too:
- Family History Fanatics (Devon and Andy have appeared here on Are You My Cousin? previously.)
- Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems
- FamilyTreeDNA –
- Genealogy TV
These 5 are just samples of what you can find on YouTube. Find more genealogy related videos and webinars by typing “genealogy” or “familyhistory” in the search bar at the top of the YouTube page.
The Covid pandemic caused many organizations and conference organizers to get creative. The RootsTech organizers met the challenge of creating a global virtual genealogy event in 2021. They are doing it again in 2022 and it’s free for attendees once again.
RootsTech 2022 will be 3-5 March 2022, and registration is open now! Once again, it is 100% virtual and completely free! You will find classes, the expo hall, panel discussions and so much more!
Do you have a favorite free genealogy course? Share in the comments!
Other “Free Genealogy” Posts of Interests
Looking for more free and/or low cost genealogy research option? Check out these posts.
- Free Genealogy Records – A Frugal Genealogist’s Guide
- Save Money Researching Genealogy – Many Options Are Free!
- 11 Free UK Genealogy Websites For Finding Ancestors
Thank you for sharing this list!! Good luck and prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery!
Thank you, Julie!
2019 recordings from RootsTech are at https://www.rootstech.org/video-archive
And https://www.thefhguide.com/index.html has lots of learning experiences related to Family History
Oh yes – the Rootstech video archive!
The Barefoot Genealogist (Christa Cowan).
I’ve been watching a number of those You Tube channels over the past few months (they help make time on the treadmill go much quicker). The quality does vary hugely – Find My Past has good content but I find the sound quality poor so its hard to hear.
Youtube videos can vary quite a bit. I am seeing more and more genealogists starting to put content out there.
Thank you for sharing these resources. I’ve used one or two of them, but having more resources to turn too helps!
Thank you for sharing all of these great places to learn. I will definitely be using this information.
So glad you found the information helpful!
Cathy, So glad you found the information helpful!