Everyone should move once every 20 years! We did just that. Packing up my genealogy research, my ancestors’ photographs and all of the various family ephemera, I discovered I am NOT organized. (What’s worse? I thought I was.)
Genealogy notes tucked here and there.
Boxes of old family photographs still to be identified and scanned.
In the closet. On the shelf. On my computer.
Obviously I needed help!
Raise your hand if you are like me. (Please don’t let me be the only one!)
Judging by the number of Pinterest boards labeled some variation of “Genealogy Organization”, I think many researchers do fall into this group.
Organizing your genealogy records does not have to be overwhelming. Really, it doesn’t.
I turned to the experts (genealogists and non-genealogist alike) to help with my organization. You, too, can find many ideas for organizing on Pinterest! Below is a round up of great Pinterest boards and other sources of organizing tips for getting your genealogy organized.
Pinterest Genealogy Organization Boards to Inspire You!
- A. Genealogy Organization by Laurel Rhodes
- B. Genealogy Organized by Kimberly McLaughlin
- C. Genealogy: organize by Skye H
- D. Genealogy – Organization by Judy Weaver
- Want to find more great Pinterest pins on organizing your genealogy? Type “genealogy” and “organization” in the Pinterest search bar. (No quotes needed.)
Need more help? Check out 4 Great Organizing Books!
All of these are great books for helping you get organized. Just don’t let them become clutter! Use them.
- How to Archive Family Photos: A Step-by-Step Guide to Organize and Share Your Photos Digitally
- How to Use Evernote for Genealogy: A Step-by-Step Guide to Organize Your Research and Boost Your Genealogy Productivity (This is one of my favorites!)
- Organize Your Genealogy in Evernote in 10 Easy Steps (Another book on Evernote! Are you sensing a theme?)
- How to Archive Family Keepsakes: Learn How to Preserve Family Photos, Memorabilia and Genealogy Records
5 Great Posts on Organizing Your Genealogy
Other genealogy bloggers have tackled the organization issue. You and I are not alone. Let these fabulous bloggers inspire you.
- Resolutions: Organizing Your Genealogy Research in 2015 by Denise May Levenick (Still timely for 2016!)
- Find great organizing and tips and discussions at The Organized Genealogist Facebook Group
- File Naming Conventions for Digital Photos, Scans and Documents by Calvin Knight at Calvin’s Genealogy
2 “Non-Genealogy” Posts For Organizing Your Digital Photos
The more traditional “mom blogs” are good resources for learning about organization. Jen and Andrea are two of my favorites. These non-genealogy blogs have some great tips for organizing your digital photographs.
- What’s the Best Way to Organize Digital Pictures? by Jen at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
- How Flickr Helps Me Organize My Photos by Andrea at Andrea Dekker.
Now we have no excuse for not getting your genealogy files and photos organized!
Did you find an organizational tip or resource that inspired you? Share it in the comments below.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you decide to purchase a product/service. This does not cost you extra. Be assured I only recommend products/services that I use and think you would like too.