Are you prepared for RootsTech 2019?
Or are you more “What the heck is this RootsTech thing I hear everyone talking about?”?
Let’s start at the beginning…..
What is RootsTech?
RootsTech is a yearly genealogy conference held in Salt Lake City, UT. RootsTech 2019 is being held 27 February – 2 March 2019.
RootsTech is the largest genealogy conference with over 300 break out sessions, fabulous keynote speakers daily, and an expo hall I could (and have!) spent hours exploring the latest in genealogy products and tech. My favorite part? All of the other genealogy researchers from (literally) around the world. Rootstech is one of the few places you can go and talk genealogy all day long and no one’s eyes glaze over!
Great Tips to Prepare for the RootsTech 2019 Conference (Whether attending in person….or not!)
If you are attending RootsTech 2019 in person, keep reading. If you are not able to attend in person, you still have options for participating. Skip to the “Follow RootsTech at Home” section below.
1.Download the RootsTech 2019 app. [Android version and Apple version.] Stay up to date on all of the information on the conference including any last minute changes to class locations. On the app you will find a list of the classes including the handouts, a map of the facility, information on the expo hall and more.
2. Have a Plan! Decide before you go, what you want to learn and/or achieve? Will you be focused on learning more about DNA topics? Are you more interested in learning about new technology available for genealogists? Be as specific as possible here. Is there a specific speaker or other genealogy researcher you want to speak with? Put that on your plan, too! Determine what vendors you would like to visit and learn more about.
3.Look over the class offerings. Now that you have decided on a conference plan (see #2), decide what classes you wish to attend. Extra Tip: Have a Plan B in case your first choice of classes for a particular time slot is full. Find the 2019 class listings here.
4. Wear good walking shoes! The Salt Lake Convention Center is huge, and you will want to be comfortable getting from place to place and exploring the expo hall.
5.Bring the “Right” Stuff. Suggestions for your “right stuff” include
- Portable chargers.
- Smart phone, tablet and/or laptop.
- A legal pad and pen or pencil – Technology is wonderful, and like most genealogists, I use my devices every. single. day. But….I internalize lecture information best when I physically write down my notes as opposed to typing or just listening. That makes me a kinesthetic learner. If that’s you, go “old fashion” and take your notes with paper and pencil.
- A sweater or jacket. Conference rooms can get cold sometimes.
6.Bring your water bottle (and snacks, too)! I personally am not used the very dry air in Salt Lake City. I’m from the South, aka the land of humidity! I refilled my water bottle often and was glad I did.
7.Take breaks! Do not try to attend a session for every time slot. Yes, I said it. Attending a lecture for every time slot every day, exploring the expo hall, and mingling with other genealogy researchers is all absolutely wonderful, but also exhausting. Schedule yourself a break, step outside and get a bit of sunshine. You’ll be refreshed and more focused when you return.
8.Have a lunch plan. Lunch options are available at the conference center and local restaurants are close by. Thousands of people attend Rootstech and the food vendors and local restaurants get busy quickly. It’s helpful to know where you want to eat before the crowd sets in.
9.At the end of each day, make notes on your thoughts or questions that you want to follow up on. I did this each day of the conference last year and found my notes incredibly helpful. I was focused while at the conference and stayed on track with my conference goals. Once back in my office, my notes reminded me of ideas I wanted to explore further.
10.Be flexible! Some of your best conversations and learning opportunities will come up as you make new genealogy friends.
Follow RootsTech 2019 from Home!
If you are not able to attend RootsTech 2019 in person, you CAN still participate from home. Enjoy live streams of selected sessions each day for FREE. You’ll find the live stream schedule here.
Also, follow along on social media channels (Instagram and Twitter) using the hashtag #NotAtRootsTech.
Other Posts of Interest:
- How To Create A Plan For Attending Your Genealogy Conference
- 5 Tips To Have A Fantastic First Genealogy Conference Experience
Pin For Future Reference!