Preserving Your Memories for Generations to Come!
Are you family’s photographs stored in a box tucked away in an attic? In a basement? In a trunk in the barn? Do you know you need to do something to preserve your family’s photos and memories, but not what that something is?
May I introduce you to personal photo organizers Michele Doyle and Dorothy Tucker of Preserving Your Heritage.
- Walk the readers through what a personal photo organizer does. Why would they benefit from contacting one? A personal photo organizer is your best friend for bringing piece of mind and security to your photo collection A typical project starts with a “getting to know you” session. We look at all of the boxes of photos, digital images, ephemera and keepsakes that you have. We listen to your goals for this collection-do you want organizing help, scanning, storage, digital photo books, digital art? The we create a game plan to get you to your goals. We can help in what ever aspect you want from just creating the plan, serving as a coach and giving advice when you need it, doing some or most of the work for you, or taking away your chaos and bringing back your images wonderfully organized.
- How did you get into this unique and specialized field? Dorothy is a photographer, Michele is a family historian. We found the Association of Personal Photo Organizers (APPO) at a Rootstech conference. After learning more about the organization, we realized it was a perfect fit for us.
- Tell us about one thing that can be the most detrimental to our family photos. What can we do to prevent this? Printed Photos – Improper storage, too hot, too cold, damp or humidity can destroy photos quickly. Prevent this by storing images in a cool, dry, dark place. Do not store your photos in the basement or the attic. Store your photos in archival safe folders, boxes or albums. Digital images – For digital photos, not migrating them often enough or having proper back up and storage can be an issue. Check hard drives, flash drives and external hard drives periodically to be sure they are working. Migrate images to an external hard drive ever couple of years. Be proactive, don’t wait until a disaster occurs to try to retrieve images. Follow the 3,2,1 philosophy – at least 3 copies on at least 2 different devices with at least 1 stored off-site.
- Does storing our antique family photos in archival safe ways have to be expensive? The materials to safely store your antique family photos are not inexpensive. Your family photos are priceless, the cost of not storing them safely can be too high if something happens to them. Doing a little each month and getting professional hep for those things you don’t have the expertise to yourself will go a long way to keep the costs down.
- Tell us about one of your success stories. Creating a digital filing system for an avid genealogist. We created a digital filing system that allow him to quickly and easily find the digital documents for which he was searching. This system also allows him to easily add additional scanned documents to the appropriate digital file.
- What’s next for Preserving Your Heritage? Any new projects on the horizon? We have just begun an exciting project to help a retired couple preserve their photos and memorabilia for their children and grandchildren. This project has several components, including photographing and preserving cherished family Bibles and the valuable records they contain. We will also be organizing and archiving family letters, printed photographs, as well as important documents. The finished product will be a beautiful set of photo books that will be treasures for generations.
- Tell us a little about yourselves. Dorothy Tucker – Having lost both my parents, my sister and two grandchildren, I know that sometimes a photograph is all you have to keep memories alive. Over the years, I hae developed a passion for photos. I love taking photos, I love looking through old photos and I love creating products that preserve not on the photos, but the stories behind them. Michele Doyle – During my own journey of discovering my family’s history I have learned how wonderful it is to be able to preserve and share those stories. Through photos and writings our families come alive. For over 25 years I have helped people bring their family stories to life. The joy that comes from telling my own ancestors stories compels me to help others find that same joy in preserving their family stories.
With winter weather keeping many of us indoors, this is the perfect time to work on organizing our family’s photographs.
Preserve your family’s photographs.
Preserve your family’s memories.
Preserve your family’s heritage.Find Dorothy and Michele at Preserving Your Heritage or on their Facebook page.