November had not arrived yet when I noticed the Christmas decorations going up at local shopping centers and inside stores. Already the pressure of Christmas shopping had begun.
Even as we approach Black Friday, I’m not ready. You?
Let’s help each other out. I’m going to share some great family history themed gifts for your family and also some gift ideas to put on your Christmas wish list. [Help your family out and just send them a link to this post!]
If there is another genealogist in the family, I’ll help you find that perfect gift.
Genealogy Gift Guide for the Holidays
Most genealogists are techies to some degree. Even if they (or you) are not, genealogy software to help organize your family tree is a must. Here are a few suggestions.
- RootsMagic 7
- Family Historian 6
- Legacy – (This is what I use.)
- Scrivener – For organizing and (finally) writing your family history.
Genealogy Database Subscriptions
Family history researchers love nothing more than information and data on their ancestors. A subscription to an online database is a good thing to add to your own Christmas list (to help Santa’s elves out, of course!).
DNA & Genealogy
- FamilyTree DNA
- 23andMe DNA
- The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy by Blaine Bettinger
- Trace Your Roots with DNA: Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree by Megan Smolenyak
Helpful Genealogy Research “Tools”
- Laptop – I love my Acer laptop.
- Desk Light – For reading those old handwritten documents.
- Handheld magnifying Glass with Light – Again, for reading those old documents!
- Binders – To store all that information we find.
- Legal pads – Sometimes you just think better on paper.
Photo Organization & Preservation
If you and your family are fortunate to have heirloom photographs, make sure they are preserved and stored safely.
- Picture Keeper Portable Flash Drive – This one is my favorite!
- Jumbl All-In-1 Film & Slide Scanner – This is a good tool for scanning film and negatives – both at home and on the road.
- Archival Storage Sheets – Protect those precious heirloom family photos.
- Archival Photo Pages
- Archival Safe Ring Binder Box
- How to Archive Family Photos: A Step-by-Step Guide to Organize and Share Your Photos Digitally by Denise My Levernick
- Photo Organizing Practices: Daguerreotypes to Digital by Maureen Taylor
- Flip-Pal Mobile Scanner
Genealogy Stocking Stuffers
- Roll of Quarters (for the microfilm machines!)
- Flash Drives – Back up, back up , back up!
- Mechanical pencils – Many repositories only allow the use of pencils. No ink pens allowed.
- Coloring Books – These are just plain fun!
- Genealogy coffee mug for those late night research sessions! Add some Starbucks coffee beans and you’ve got a fantastic gift.
Do you feel more prepared for your holiday shopping now?
Whew! I do.
(Now….If I can just keep from buying too many Christmas gifts for myself.)
Leave me a comment below and let me know what is on your genealogy wish list this holiday season.
<<Please note that this post contains affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you decide to purchase a product/service. This does not cost you extra. Be assured I only recommend products/services that I use and think you would like too.>>